Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:02:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>
To:        ptroot@uswest.com
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5x86

Quoth Paul T. Root on Mon, 29 July:
:
: This looks great. I've got a related question. In PC Warehouse, there
: is an IT 5x86 plug in, that goes into the 486 or overdrive socket.
:
: Opinions?

If you are using a 1542CF, and crank your bus clock up to the max
reliable in the bios, I don't think ISA SCSI is going to slow you down
much -- more likely your drives will be the bottleneck.  The Cyrix
5x86/120-GP which I had ran about equivalent to a P90.  Highly
recommended.  However, for $170 you can get a brand new MoBo w/ 5x86
support including CPU.  This is a vastly superior solution.  Do NOT
buy a UMC 5x86 MoBo if you have a bus-mastering SCSI controller
(e.g. 1542CF).  ASUS makes some good ones.

So when is USWest going to make consumer DSL IP available?  Given
that y'all refuse to sell ISDN (even at the *exhorbitant* tarriffs
handed to you in Minnesota) even in areas with Passports installed,
I'm thinking I might have to startup a competitor in order to get
CO DSL in this lifetime...

Did you go to Hazel Park Jr. High School?

//alk