Date:      30 Jan 2002 20:23:55 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: login(1) PAMified

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>   Log:
>   Still with asbestos longjohns on, completely PAMify login(1) and remove
>   code made redundant by various PAM modules (primarily pam_unix(8)).
>
>   Sponsored by:   DARPA, NAI Labs

This commit and the ones immediately preceding and following it strip
most of the authentication logic out of login(1) and moves it into
various PAM modules.  Provided that your PAM library is up to date and
you have etc/pam.d/login rev 1.7 (mergemaster is your friend!),
login(1) should behave just like it used to.  There's still a chance
that something will crop up, though, so I'd recommend against
upgrading systems you can't easily boot into single-user mode to fix a
broken PAM config.  If you run into trouble you can't get out of on
your own, contact me by mail or on IRC (EvilDES on EFNet) and I'll try
to figure it out ASAP.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org