Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:07:51 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matt Grice <matt@atarian.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: ACPI bug submission

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Matt Grice <matt@atarian.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> sensor or something else.
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.active: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.thermal_flags: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._HOT: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._CRT: 98.0C
> At 98C, power down (if supported). This is different from the hardware
> shutdown on severe overtemp that simply kills power.
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._TC1: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._TC2: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._TSP: -1
> hw.acpi.battery.life: 0
> hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
> hw.acpi.battery.state: 4
> hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
> hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
> hw.acpi.acline: 1
> hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness: 100
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.fullpower: 100
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.economy: 60
> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.levels: 100 60 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
>
> If you want the system to suspend when the lid closes, "sysctl
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3".
>

> acpiconf -i 0
>
> [root@Raptor] /usr/ports/comms/wspr# acpiconf -i o
> Design capacity:       4400 mAh
> Last full capacity:     3757 mAh
> Battery is getting old and only will charge to 85% of it's design capacity.
> Technology:             secondary (rechargeable)
> Design voltage:         11100 mV
> Capacity (warn):        185 mAh
> Capacity (low):         129 mAh
> Low/warn granularity:   56 mAh
> Warn/full granularity:  3572 mAh
> Model number: GRAPE32
> Serial number: 27
> Type: LION
> OEM info:               SANYO
> State:                  critical
> Your battery is dying!
> Remaining capacity:     0%
> OK. It's dead.
> Remaining time:         unknown
> Present rate:           0 mA (0 mW)
> It's not discharging.
> Present voltage:        7870 mV
> It is at 7.9 volts which is too low to run the system.
>
> Since the system appears to be on AC power, but the battery is not
> charging, something is wrong here. I have no idea what.
>

> It appears that either the charging system or the battery has
> failed.Neither involved the OS, but indicates a hardware issue with the
> device.
>
> There are several ACPI variables I don't recognize or am simply not
> familiar with, but this will give you some               idea what many of
> the important ones are. Remember that ACPI is firmware and may have errors
> that result in its lying to the OS. I don't trust some of what I see,
> especially the temperature. Most laptops idle at between               50
> and 60C. Seeing two zones at 39C is very odd.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired

Are you running with Intel or Radeon graphics? Are you using DRM2 and KMS?
If so, syscons is broken with KMS, so once you switch to X, there is no
visual console available outside of X. The keyboard will still work, but
the screen will be blank.

If you either use the VT kernel configuration or add:
nodevice    sc
nodevice    vga

device        vt
device        vt_vga

to your current configuration and re-build the kernel, you should get your
display back, though the splash screen is not yet working for vt(4). You
will also see a few unrecognized ioctls as not all syscons features are in
vt(4) at this time.