Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:13:26 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsd.org>
To:        Bei Guan <gbtju85@gmail.com>
Cc:        soc-status <soc-status@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_Mentor_of_the_Project_=22PCI_frontend_XEN_PV_dri?= =?utf-8?Q?ver=22=EF=BC=9F?=

On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Bei Guan <gbtju85@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> It seems there's no mentor for the GSoC project =93PCI frontend XEN PV =
driver=94 on page =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#PCI_frontend_XEN_PV_driver=20
> So whom can I contact to know more about this project?
> Thank you very much.
>=20
>=20
> Best Regards,
> Gavin

This particular project was proposed for last year's GSoC when both =
attilio@FreeBSD.org and I were actively working on full Xen PV support =
for FreeBSD.  That project still continues, but at a slower pace due to =
changing needs at our respective employers.  Given the lack of maturity =
of our Xen PV port, I think this would be a difficult project to attempt =
at this time.

If you are interested in Xen and have access to x86 hardware with HVM =
capabilities, writing a SCSI or USB PV frontend for FreeBSD is a better =
project to select.  FreeBSD's Xen HVM support is very robust and, unlike =
the PCI frontend driver, these drivers can be developed using an HVM =
guest.  The resulting drivers should work equally well in full PV mode =
(with perhaps a few minor tweaks) when it is better supported.

I will update the wiki sometime tomorrow with more information on Xen =
projects that are appropriate for this year's GSoC.

--
Justin