Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 04:41:15 -0400
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make a headless box

On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 03:53 , Corey Snow wrote:

> I've got a 486 DX2/66 that I've managed to get bridging with ipfw
> between my DSL and LAN. Since I have a bunch of systems and not much
> room on the KVM switch, and this is effectively an appliance once
> it's tuned properly, I'd like to make it headless- remove the video
> and keyboard entirely, making it accessible via ssh or nullmodem only.
>
> It currently has an old VESA VGA card in it. Ideally, I'd like to
> make the configuration changes, shut down the system, take out the
> card, and start it back up again in headless mode.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most computer BIOSes, especially that old, won't allow you to start up
without a video card.  That doesn't mean you have to have a monitor
attached...  You can run headless by not attaching the monitor to it.
Make sure you tell the BIOS to ignore keyboard errors if you can -- many
BIOSes won't go past a keyboard error unoless you have a setting set to
ignore keyboard errors.

Chad