Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 00:13:12 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

On 2021-Mar-27, at 20:51, Carl Johnson <carlj at peak.org> wrote:

> Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> writes:
>=20
>> Hi everyone,
>> I've seen that there are arm machines for FreeBSD other than
>> Raspberry. I've been using it with 14.0-CURRENT, and my skills are =
too
>> limited for patching it. So, I've decided to find a machine on which =
>> RELEASE or STABLE version would work. To my knowledge, and after many
>> tries, it seems that there are no FreeBSD working smoothly on RPI4 B.
>> So, if you have any suggestions for a working FreeBSD on any machine, =
I'd be grateful.
>> I won't discard 14.0 CURRENT, as I've done quite a few things which
>> were much fun. It's just for getting other experiences.
>>=20
>> Please, tell me.
>> Andy
>=20
> I have 13.0-RC3 working well on a RPi 4B with 8GB RAM.  The only =
problem
> I have is the efifb is working with very low resolution, and that =
would
> unusable for my desktop use.  It current reports "VT(efifb): =
resolution
> 592x448" on a 1280x1024 monitor, but I haven't figured out a way to =
use
> the full monitor resolution.  Raspbian does work properly, and my RPi =
2B
> running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE also works properly with the same =
monitor,
> but they don't use efifb.

If your RPi4B's config.txt has a line:

hdmi_safe=3D1

then try commenting it out with a # or
deleting it.

As I understand, the line is there by default
because some contexts end up with no display
at all without it (blind context). But otherwise
it ends up preventing the display size tracking,
so there is a tradeoff to having it by default.

Technically https://elinux.org/RPiconfig documents
hdmi_safe=3D1 as an abbreviated way of saying:

hdmi_force_hotplug=3D1
hdmi_ignore_edid=3D0xa5000080
config_hdmi_boost=3D4
hdmi_group=3D2
hdmi_mode=3D4
disable_overscan=3D0
overscan_left=3D24
overscan_right=3D24
overscan_top=3D24
overscan_bottom=3D24

so working based on part of the expanded
list might be an alternative in some
complicated context.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard