Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:49:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

I get a panic when running linux binaries directly from an ext2fs
partition.  They run fine on UFS, but on ext2fs they panic.  I'm
currently using linux_base-6.1 and 4.0-stable (as of May 20), but
the problem goes back to at least 3.2.  See PR kern/19407.

I don't know whether the real problem is with Linux emulation or
ext2fs or some weird combination of the two.  Or maybe it's something
with kernel locking, some of the panics say "lockmgr: not exclusive
lock holder".  I've asked about this before and the answer was "works
fine for me."  But it happens so easily and reliably for me that I'm
just baffled about what I'm doing differently.

I'd like to track this down, but I don't know enough about the
internals of the Linuxulator or ext2fs.  But I can apply patches and
send back stack traces, if someone who knows more about the internals
can help me out.

--Mark