Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:09:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        chris#@1command.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS == lock && reboot

Hi Chris,

 Well - the NFS server is 4.5-RELEASE - a rather old box.

 Everything worked fine when the shop was all 4.x boxes, but as soon
 as we put in a 5.x or 6.x box - the NFS clients on those (5.x/6.x) boxes
 locked up hard if rpc.lockd was running on the 4.5-RELEASE server.

 On 4.x, rpc.lockd doesn't start automatically - since, as I understand
 it, rpc.lockd had "issues" in that timeframe.  But, one of the developers
 here turned it on hoping to get real locking for /var/mail.

 So - I thought my problem might simply be the old rpc.lockd
 implementation in 4.x, and I didn't worry about it (since 4.x is
 out-of-service anyway.)

 However, this sounded _so_ familiar - I thought I would pop-up
 and mumble something like a "me too."

 rpc.statd isn't running on the 4.5 NFS server.

	- Dave Rivers -