Date:      Wed, 27 May 2015 13:39:10 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS in a VM?

> On May 27, 2015, at 11:31 AM, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Can I run a FreeBSD system in a virtual machine and use ZFS?  The VM
> environment is a commercial system based on Linux's KVM, if that
> matters.

I do.  I do it not so much for any performance benefits, if any, ZFS =
offers, but more for data integrity.  You need to tune it since the VM =
based disks are not the same as physical disks.  I run into performance =
issues when the =E2=80=9Cdisk=E2=80=9D gets to a certain usage level (in =
terms of used capacity).