Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:19:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shell history

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mike Holling wrote:

> A sufficiently skilled attacker will probably always be able to get root
> once they have shell access on a box.  The key is to prevent them from
> getting to that point in the first place.

That's a broad statement.  I won't contest the fact that if users have
shell access you are now open to a much larger array of possible attacks
(like local SUID buffer overflow attacks and /tmp races), but saying that
they will always be able to get root is not an accurate statement.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/