Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 17:25:58 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: calibrating clocks

> >You know about the counter in the APIC too ?
>
> >It runs at the "bus frequency" but that may vary as well :-(
>
> No.  What's an APIC?

I found the description of the counter, pretty damn useless for our
purposes I presume, since the bus-clock can be tweaked for power-mgt.

There is support for one-shot and periodic mode.  IRQ on zero count.
It runs of the bus-clock (60/66MHz) there is a prescaler taking 1,2,4,8,
16,32,64 or 128.  The counter itself is 32bit, and it's memory-mapped.

There is a R/W Initial count register and a R/O Current count
register.  If IC is 'N' then the CC runs N, N-1, N-2 ... 2, 1, N, N-1
in periodic mode.  CC is loaded from IC when you write to IC.

There is also an erratum that says that they got it wrong the first
time around, nothing major, just the zero-tick being being the width
of the input (bus ?) clock rather than zero.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc
.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.