Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 23:44:08 +0200
From:      Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se
To:        mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        lawmay@ki.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: STABLE vs RELEASE?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002, Mike <mpd@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

>> 1. Why are there three separate branches of precompiled applications: CURRENT

>> (branches/-current/packages), STABLE (branches/4.0-stable/packages) and RELEASE

>> (releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/packages)? How do they differ?
>> In particular:
>>
>>    a. Are the CURRENT precompiled applications considered less stable than
the
>> STABLE ones, which are in turn less stable than the RELEASE ones?
>>
>>    b. Were the CURRENT precompiled applications compiled against FreeBSD
CURRENT?
>> Likewise, were the STABLE precompiled applications compiled against FreeBSD

>> STABLE, and the RELEASE applications against FreeBSD RELEASE?

>This is in the first section of the FAQ.

Is that right? I can't find any answers to my questions (1a)-(1b) in the first
section of the FAQ or any other section of the FAQ or Handbook.

As far as I can understand, all the above references discuss only the differences
between the *OS* FreeBSD CURRENT, the *OS* FreeBSD STABLE, and the *OS* FreeBSD
RELEASE. I can find no reference discussing why precompiled APPLICATIONS (as
opposed to the OS itself) are put onto 3 separate branches.

That's why I posted my questions (1a)-(1b) to freebsd-questions. I still hope
that someone can answer them or point me to a reference that can.

>> 5. What about compiling the kernel? Would that also take forever on my machine?

>> Should I do it anyway? (E.g because a custom compiled kernel would use less

>> of my meager resources than a precompiled kernel would?) If I do compile
my
>> own kernel, do I need to compile (some or all of) my applications as well,
or
>> can I continue to use precompiled applications?

>This is in the handbook.

Is that right? Where? I can find no advice in the handbook as to whether the
performance boost of a kernal compile on a P133 with 64MB RAM might be worth
the trouble that a kernel compile would entail. Nor can I find any info (in
the Hanbook or FAQ) as to whether I need to compile (some or all of) my applications
after a kernel compile.

That's why I posted my questions (5) to freebsd-questions. I still hope someone
can answer them or point me to references which can.

>Please read through the FAQ and handbook. Many of the questions you ask are
already answered there.

Is that right? I had already spent many hours studying the Handbook, FAQ, and
mailing lists, unable to find answers to my questions, before I posted them
to freebsd-questions.

Mike, if I've missed something in the Handbook or FAQ, please help me find it:
your last post did not. But please do not insinuate that I haven't read them.
And please do not tell me that the answers to my questions are there, if they're
really not.

Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
Ume=E5, Sweden