Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:03:02 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <nelsont@switch.aust.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Trent Nelson'" <nelsont@switch.aust.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compare and contrast vmware and jail ?

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 12:52:16PM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> Dear Trent,
>

> > (Yeah, ok, I'll keep going.  My Linux VM actually builds our
> > work system up to ten minutes quicker than running Linux na-
> > tively on the same machine.  Make of that what you will!)
> >
> Umm. Have you tried to build it under linux-compat in FreeBSD? Sounds like
> it's worth the experiment. :)

    Well, the Linux build by default uses the Cygnus compiler and it was
    too much initial effort to get that working on FreeBSD (we only had
    a RedHat distribution).  I ended up porting one of the projects to
    FreeBSD w/ gcc 2.95.3 and it built about fourty minutes faster than
    the Linux machines using Cygnus GNUpro-99r1.  It still manages to be
    around fifteen minutes faster than the Linux machines that've been
    switched to use 2.95.3.  Still pretty freakin' adimirable if you ask
    me.

>     Kees Jan

        Trent.

--
Trent Nelson - Software Engineer - nelsont@switch.aust.com
       "A man with unlimited enthusiasm can achieve