Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:07:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Wednesday,  8 August 2001 at 16:45:27 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> types:
>> On Tuesday,  7 August 2001 at  0:29:20 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>> Mike Meyer wrote:
>>> FWIW: In the original version, the IBM PC was powered by a
>>> Motorolla 68k.
>> Not in any released version.  It's possible, even probable, that they
>> played with it during the design phase.
>
> I vaguely recall a 68K powered IBM desktop box from that era. It
> wasn't sold as a personal computer, but as a lab system. It was
> *incredibly* ugly, and we referred to it as the "attack of the
> electric tomatoes" machine.
>
>>> They switched to the Intel 8088 (*not* 8086, yet) because Motorolla
>>> could not commit volume, and IBM wanted a license to fabricate.
>> This seems unlikely.  Where do you get this from?  At the time, the PC
>> project was just another pie-in-the sky project, an attempt to do
>> better than the failed 5100.
>
> I don't recall the model numbers on the IBM machines at all. Could the
> 5100 have been the lab machine mentioned above?

I don't think so.  It was billed as a personal computer.  I saw one
once in the late 70's: we were an IBM shop at the time, and they tried
to sell one to us, in vain.  IIRC it was an integrated box, keyboard,
monitor and CPU, not expandable.

> FWIW, the story about dropping Motorola due to Motorola not being
> able to provide the volume that IBM wanted matches the hearsay I
> recall from the era. I also heard that Intel made the commitment
> knowing they couldn't honor.

Hmm.  Recall that IBM had no idea this thing would be anywhere near as
successful.

> There's an aweful lot of hearsay floating around about the early
> days. I've tried to restrict my reminiscing to things I personally
> dealt with or things from sources I thought reputable, avoiding
> hearsay. I'd never heard the story about volume from a reputable
> source.

Exactly.  I'm trying to do the same.  But as you say, the hearsay was
there at the time as well.

>>> The 86 was later.
>> The 86 was earlier.  1976.  The 8088 was just a low-cost 8086, with an
>> 8 bit bus, enabling machines to be made with a lower chip count.  The
>> processor core was almost identical; I think the only difference was
>> the pipeline length.  I suspect that the part count was what really
>> caused IBM to go with the 8088 and not the 68000; the former needed
>> only 8 memory chips (1 bit wide), the latter would have needed 32.
>
> Are you sure the 68K would have needed 32 memory chips? I recall the
> 68K as having a 16 bit external bus, meaning it would only have needed
> 16.

Hmm.  You could have been right there.  It was definitely 32 bits
internally, like the 8088 was 16 bits internally.  Motorola weren't as
generous with their data books, so I can't check.

> Motorola eventually introduced the 68008 with an 8 bit bus, but I
> never saw a machine that used one of the things.

That rings a bell.

>> Ah, I missed this before.  Yes, this is almost exactly correct.  The
>> company was Seattle Computer Products, SCP.  The rest is exactly
>> correct.
>
> I thought it was "Seattle Computer Company", but those memories are
> over 15 years old at this point, so some failing is expected.

Nope, Seattle Computer Products.  I've just had one of their 8086
S-100 boards in my hand.

> I never bought the thing - I went to a CP/M-68K system to transition
> to 16 bits - but recall hearing people complaining that 8086-based
> S-100 systems were pretty much useless due to lack of
> applications. Which matches my experience with CP/M-68K.

Yes.  This is the real reason for the success of the IBM PC: it gave
developers something to target.  That's also the real reason for the
success of Microsoft.

> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
>>>
>>> There never ware operating systems with these names.  It came with
>>> optional CP/M 86.  I don't know about MP/M 86, but it's quite
>>> possible.
>>
>> It was 80, not 88 or 86.
>
> CP/M-80 was the "previous dominant OS" I mentioned. Both Greg and I
> agree that you could get CP/M-86 as an option for the IBM-PC. Others
> have mentioned running CP/M-80 under an emulator on MS-DOS.

I've done that too.

Greg