Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:35:55 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: invalid primary partition table: no magic

>> >uriah # vnconfig -c /dev/rvn0 fooimage
>> >uriah # Jan 30 23:51:48 uriah /kernel: vn0: invalid primary partition table: no magic

>> For emulating physical disks that don't have partition tables or labels,
>> don't use the `-s labels' option to vnconfig.

>Well, what about those that are about to get a label the next second?
>New vn devices are often created by dd'ing the appropriate amount of
>data out of /dev/zero.

You can ignore the problem or dd an MBR or dd just an 0xAA55 signature.

>And why is it printed in the cited case, with an cd9660 image?  I
>haven't used -s labels.

Because -s labels was set previously.  I think all the options have to
live across opens so that they don't go away after you have vnconfig'ed
them, but perhaps they should go away when the device is unconfigured.

>I think it should at least go away for vn devices.  Anybody playing
>with vn is expected to know what (s)he's doing.  It's annoying enough

That's right, they are expected to know enough to ignore the problem
or to use a binary editor to avoid it :-).  I get it all the time
for floppies and have been ignoring it.

Bruce