Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:42:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A section on gettext for the Porter's Handbook

Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hoped I had learned something about using gettext in ports,
> and felt I should write down a summary.  Here's what came out
> of that -- a proposed section for the Porter's Handbook.  Its
> HTML rendering is available there:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/porters-handbook/using-gettext.html
>
> Remarks and corrections are welcome.  Thanks!

+.if defined(WITHOUT_NLS)
+CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-nls
+PLIST_SUB+=             NLS="@comment "
+.else
+USE_GETTEXT=            yes
+CONFIGURE_ENV=          LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib"
+PLIST_SUB+=             NLS=""
+.endif</programlisting>

Should that be .if !defined(WITHOUT_NLS), and then the outcome of the tests
reversed? The reason being that most authors who would put that in OPTIONS
would default NLS to on.

Otherwise, good stuff. I think that leading people down the right path for
the various knobs is a good thing, even if it seems "obvious" to us old hands.

Doug