Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:45:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), will@physics.purdue.edu, wyldephyre2@yahoo.com (Haikal Saadh), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CounterStrike

> > > What are you talking about?  `device pcm' works fine for me under
> > > 4.1-STABLE and has always.
> > Your device pcm has the FreeBSD sound card API.
>
> Bollocks. It implements the OSS API, or at least tries to. If
> something doesn't work, submit a PR or, even better, patches, instead
> of just bitching and spreading disinformation.

It has been my experience that the FreeBSD drivers don't work
for some shoot-em-up games.

> > Most games require a specific sound card API.  This API is supported
> > natively in Linux, but FreeBSD does not support this API.  To use
> > this API, you must have third party (OSS) sound card drivers, or
> > modify FreeBSD's API.  When you suggest this to the sound driver
> > people, they tend to get belligerant and talk about how their API
> > is better than the Linux API.
>
> Not true. Have you even talked to Cameron about this?

I haven't.  I suppose I ought to, though, but that would mean
I'd have to reinstall the games that didn't work without OSS
before, to make sure that I'm talking about the most recent
code, in FreeBSD 4.1.

Are you sure you don't have to run current for it to work with
FreeBSD's native drivers?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---