Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@exceptionet.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   suggestion: distfiles CD

Hello,

Just an idea I wanted to run by people: I'm not sure if anyone would be
interested, and it might make the project some dough.  (Alternately, I
might be the only poor bastard in this position, but it can't hurt to
ask.)

As FreeBSD seems to be doing three releases a year, I find that the
distfiles and packages on my machine are increasingly out of date.  In my
case, fetching distfiles and packages at work is difficult.

I cvsup at home, and upgrade my ports tree accordingly.

But for the last month, my distfiles CD has been completely useless.
Every distfile I've wanted, I've had to download.  If the mid-September
date for the release of 3.3 is accurate, that means I have at least
another month, probobly six weeks, until I get an updated CD.

If FreeBSD is coming out only every four months, might people be
interested in a "distfiles/packages" CD set on the alternate four months?
The work would be minimal, compared to a regular snapshot.  I, at least,
would pay for it. Hell, I'd subscribe.

Of course, I'm sure everyone else has a real Internet connection, and
doesn't have to worry about this.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas			|