Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 20:19:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Roy A.Mccrory" <mccrory@7dragons.fc.dna.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help wi xvnews compile

I am trying to compile xvnews on 2.0.5-R and always run into this problem at the
link ( I think) stage. Someone had a package for xvnews for 1.1.5.1 which I used
then and tried on the updated system, but it would not work there.  If anyone
could help or knows of a package that will work, I would appreciate the assist.

Here is the make output showing the breakdown.

cc -m486 -O2 -L/usr/lib/libcompat.a  -I/usr/include  -Iguide -Iguide/libguide -I.  -I/usr1/X11R6/include  -DCSRG_BASED  -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -c xv_drag.c
cc -m486 -O2 -L/usr/lib/libcompat.a  -I/usr/include  -Iguide -Iguide/libguide -I.  -I/usr1/X11R6/include  -DCSRG_BASED  -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -c xv_kill.c
rm -f xvnews
cc -o xvnews -m486 -O2 -L/usr/lib/libcompat.a  -I/usr/include     -L/usr1/X11R6/lib getdate.o main.o server.o textsw_regexp.o xv_articles.o xv_err.o     xv_getauthor.o xv_init.o xv_init_newsrc.o xv_newsrc.o   xv_parse_newsrc.o xv_post.o xv_props.o xv_regex.o xv_search.o   xv_sort.o xv_stuff.o xvnews_stubs.o xvnews_ui.o xv_drag.o xv_kill.o -Lguide -lguidexv -Lguide/libguide -lguide -L/usr/openwin/lib -lxview -lolgx -lX11
xv_post.o: Undefined symbol `_cuserid' referenced from text segment
xv_post.o: Undefined symbol `_cuserid' referenced from text segment
xv_post.o: Undefined symbol `_cuserid' referenced from text segment
xv_post.o: Undefined symbol `_cuserid' referenced from text segment
xv_regex.o: Undefined symbol `_re_comp' referenced from text segment
xv_regex.o: Undefined symbol `_re_exec' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

As a separate comment, I previously sent a question to the list and received
no comments or responses.  Would it be of value to program your Majordomo
server to make automatic receipts/acknowledgements to confirm receipt of
your mail?

I apologise for bothering you with such a trivial problem, but while I am
facinated with these os's, my programming skills were frozen at the level of
the "scientific subset of PLI" after I became so disgusted with Fortran ii/iv
as progmulgated by ibm.

In case my .sig does not append, please reply to mccrory@gamma.lanl.gov
My employer is too cheap to pay for name service for us.