Date:      16 Jul 2001 00:29:34 MDT
From:      J S <spl1t_h0r1z0n@usa.net>
To:        Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: spammers]

quit whining about someone else not doing what you want.  take a few minu=
tes,
read the headers to determine what service provider they are using to sen=
d the
mail, then forward the email to abuse@theirisp.net.  blocking them at the=

receiving end is only a partial solution, they are still able to spam.  =

joshua

Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 07:09:23PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se> writes:
> > =

> > > That's what I have been doing Stephaine, but I'd like the list admi=
ns to
do
> > > it too so I wont have to get this much spam. Other list admins ban
spammers
> > > instantly...
> > =

> > Well, apart from making the lists closed, and allow posts only from
subscribed
> > addresses, there is not much one can do.  However, these lists are op=
en,
and
> > for a good reason too.
> > =

> > The procmail solution (or, since FreeBSD.org used Postfix, a table-dr=
iven
> > block policy) might prove too much work for the postmaster.  This is
probably
> > going to be a full-time job, if the postmaster chooses to do somethin=
like
> > that.  He has other things to do in his every day life except for edi=
ting
> > Postfix configuration files and lookup tables.
> > =

> > Using RBL or some other filtering method, that moves the burden of
maintaining
> > the list of blocked addresses off the back of the postmaster is also =
not
the
> > perfect solution.  Still, users that have done nothing wrong can be
blocked...
> > =

> > This is more hairy than it seems :/
> > =

> > -giorgos
> =

> Hmm, I really wish someone could ban all those damned spammers. :(
> =

Joshua Smith, CCNA
Data Center Technian
USA.NET
joshua.smith@corp.usa.net

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -