Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 96 02:51:06 EDT
From:      John  Matthews <jmatthew@fore.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        matthews@dolphin.fore.com
Subject:   JAZ Drives & SNAP 2.2-960501 Release

I just recently started working with FreeBSD and have managed to
get it working on my laptop and desktop, but I am having problems
getting my jaz drive to work with my desktop with the
FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP release.  Is there something special I need
to do?  I'm getting the following error messages:

sd1(ahc0:4:0): Direct-Access
sd1(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
sd1(ahc0:4:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
sd1(ahc0:4:0):  Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
sd1(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
sd1(ahc0:4:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:1c,0 Defect list not found
sd1: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd1 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)

I've read through quite a bit of the e-mail on "jaz" and know
that other people have had the same problems, but I didn't see
anything that had a solution.  Do I need to upgrade my kernel sources?
How do I format a new cartridge?

What's the real difference between this release and the newest
release 2.1.5?  Why are the release numbers going backwards.
Is this 2.2 Release some sort of test development release?
				Thanks in advance,
					John Matthews
					jmatthew@fore.com