Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:59:55 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testers please!

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96.990919154840.35740A-100000@shell-3.enteract.com>, Dav
id Scheidt writes:
>On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>

>> If you have a PIIX4 based SMP system and run current, could you
>> please try out this patch:
>>
>> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/piix/
>>
>> I'm very interested in hearing if there are any measurable difference
>> apart from clock granularity being 3 times better.
>
>What sort of tests would you like done before and after?

Any test you can think of really.

I don't expect any problems, but I am very interested in the
performance difference if any, since that would give me a good
indication if it is a worthwhile job to spend more time on
obfuscat^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hptimizing the timecounter code.

As far as I can tell, access to the PIIX timecounter is about 2.5
microseconds faster than to the i8254.  In relative terms it is
about a factor 3 faster.

You can flip forth and back between the old and new behaviour with:

New:
	sysctl -w kern.timecounter.hardware=PIIX

(if it refuses you probably don't have the PIIX4 hardware)

Old:
	sysctl -w kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!