Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 19:13:28 -0800
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDM catch 22

(Do break your lines at 72 characters or so.)

Tom Vollmer wrote:

> I managed to provoke freeBSD into graphical mode before prompting at
> the command line for userid and passward by altering the "tty".   The
> only problem I have now is I can't gain access to the KDE interface.

Did you create a file in your home directory called .xsession?  If you
did, did you make it executable (mode 7XX)?  This is problem number one
in XDM setups.

> This is what I suspect.  The line that governs XDM also has a option
> for secure/unsecure settings.  I left it at secure setting.

XDM cares not for the secure/insecure setting in /etc/ttys.  XDM handles
its authentication through an internal routine, not through getty.
That's why you can run it from the /etc/rc scripts as well.

> Therefore, when XDM starts and logs me in, KDE, or for that matter any
> other process, is not available even to root.  It then returns the
> user to the XDM interface.  Funny thing is that I can't even get to a
> command line to run "vi" in order to change the alteration I made.
> CATCH 22.

Have you tried CTRL-ALT-F1?  It's just like ALT-F1, except with a CTRL
in front of it.  Why, you ask?  Because the X server traps ALT-F1 for X
clients.

You might try the article at
<http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/xdm.html>.  I think it's an
informative article, but I hear the guy who wrote it is a real prick.

> I there a procedure for stopping to allow a command line prompt with
> the volumes mounted that can be initiated through a "hot key" so I
> might be able to change the "tty" file back to it's original state?

Eh?

> Tom Vollmer

Cheers,
William Richard