Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:58:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        Jamey and Crystal Owens <kindred@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and a lost user =-p

---Jamey and Crystal Owens <kindred@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I am completely new to FreeBSD/Unix/Linux pretty much any OS
> other than dos.  I am trying to install FreeBSD but seem a bit
confused
> as to which files I need to download to my dos partition exactly.

The required directories in order to get the minimal install are:
/bin
/floppies
/tools

Recommended:
/manpages
/doc

>  Also, I would like to use ftp or nfs or ppp but in the box where
you are
> asked to enter your domain name and such I cannot figure out what to
put
> where.

NFS protocol allows you to use drives from another computer.
You need to use ppp to connect to your ISP and then use FTP as the
install method. This is not a trivial task and you'll need to study
the handbook and FAQ and do some trial and error before you succeed.
Or do what I did download the stuff and install from a DOS partition.

> Also, will I have to have a current connection when I do that?

Yes.

> I do not believe I am able to..   Thank you for any help.

If you have an ISP connection then you are able to.

> 						Jamey Owens

Rudy