Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:10:36 -0400
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about port revision numbers, portsnap, csup

Hello,

I've identified my pecl-APC install as being broken after upgrading to
PHP 5.3.2. According to the commit history listed here:
http://www.freshports.org/www/pecl-APC/ there is a fix out. However,
doing a portsnap fetch update does not seem to fetch this latest
revision to this port, after doing my portsnap it shows no updates are
available for the port although I'm pretty certain that I last
portsnapped before April 12. I'm assuming that portsnap only grabs a new
version of the portrevision number has been bumped?

My questions:

1) If I were to csup my ports tree to force a fetch of this update,
would this break portsnap?

2) Is there a way to look at the commit history of the ports I have
installed in /usr/ports so that I can verify whether or not I have the
revision with this particular fix? Thus far I've been relying on
freshports.org and trusting that doing a portsnap will always fetch the
latest stuff visible on freshports.org, but now I'm not so sure...

3) Shouldn't the portrevision number be bumped whenever there is an
update? I always assumed that the _x suffixes indicated a portrevision
bump. Why was it not bumped for this pecl-APC fix? Human error? Is there
any other way I can force the download of this port, or is csup my best bet?

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful,