Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:13:39 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com (Matthew Jacob)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, jbarbee@singular.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of slpha port

Matthew Jacob wrote:
> Yes, I'd like to actually finally say that it's a great shame
> that FreeBSD and NetBSD are different efforts- the NetBSD alpha
> effort is in quite good shape- and I've been somewhat reluctant
> to try and duplicate this for FreeBSD. Is there any way the
> FreeBSD port can import the extremely solid NetBSD/alpha work?

I would prefer that the machine dependent parts of the kernel keep
compatibility. IMO, the userland area is where the two projects have
a different focus, and therefore a different userbase. My personal
opinion is that NetBSD and FreeBSD should be merged, but I accept
the fact that there are reasons why that can't happen.

For serveral years I've had to effectively support two user-land
interfaces (headers and libraries) in order to be able to use FreeBSD/i386
and NetBSD/Alpha. As it stands now, I only have one. FreeBSD's source
tree successfully builds with a NetBSD syscall interface in libc.
I guess I am now treating NetBSD/Alpha as a kernel, and yes, that _is_
extremely solid thanks to cgd, Jason and yourself (amongst others).

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137