Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:49:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named dying

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> > On Friday 20 April 2001 11:00, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> > > Apr 20 11:54:31 lucas named[44634]: starting.  named 8.2.3-T6B Mon Nov
> 20
> > > 11:27
> > > Apr 20 11:54:31 lucas named[44634]: limit files set to fdlimit (1024)
> > > Apr 20 11:54:32 lucas named[44635]: Ready to answer queries.
> > >

> > > Can anyone tell me why this may be doing this? It is crashing every few
> > > days... named is under very little load.
> > >
> > > sysctl -a |grep maxfiles :
> > >
> > > kern.maxfiles: 2048
> > >

> > > I thought the fdlimit was if maxfiles wasn't set high enough, but it is.
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Upgrade to 8.2.3-REL its in the ports under /usr/ports/net/bind8.
> >
> > You may be getting hacked, causing named to crash.
>
> Ok, I just upgraded it.. Actually I had already compiled it, but hadn't
> install it yet since it was still giving the fdlimit message. And BTW, the
> person who asked what syslog shows when it crashes, it shows nothing. Since
> the server has been up, these messages have shown up in dmesg :
>
> pid 141 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
> pid 25103 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> pid 41257 (named), uid 53: exited on signal 11
> pid 11938 (named), uid 53: exited on signal 11

Be careful about one thing. If you compiled it from the ISC sources,
it will install in /usr/sbin as a default. REMOVE THE OLD VERSION
in /sbin. Otherwise, if you reboot, it will go back to the old
version because of the named_enable scripts in rc.conf.

I had the exact same symptoms as you and couldn't understand it
because I was running 8.3-REL (I thought). That's when I discovered
that a reboot had started the old version.

I think it may be someone trying the Linux exploit and just managing
to crash the name server, but their script bombs on FreeBSD.
Just a guess..

-Jim Durham