Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 21:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SB32 and Voxware 3.5alpha5 Results

 >Send me the output of :
 >cat /dev/sndstat

stealth : ~ > cat < /dev/sndstat
/dev/sndstat: Device not configured.

     Got to digging around some more and I figured out what was wrong.
soundcard.c contains:

     #define CDEV_MAJOR 30

and the 2.2-960612-SNAP majors.i386 contains:

     30      snd             sound driver system

But the provided sound/freebsd/makedev.sh script specifies a major of 33.

     I'm pretty new to digging in the kernel, so I don't know whether the
kernel compiles in the major from majors.i386, sets it when booting from
what sndattach returns, or what but at any rate there was a difference.
When I remade my devices with a major of 30, that fixed it.

     The initial tests I've tried look good.  Gotta call it a night, but
I'll stress test it more tomorrow evening and let you know.  In particular,

Thanks,

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com