Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:02:58 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "James Earl" <jamesearl@telus.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stand-alone or combo web server/gateway

This might be a theme seen on freebsd-security.  The "layered onion"
approach is preached as classic and important, i.e., they have to get
root on the gateway first, and then they still shouldn't have the
ability
to break into the webserver, at least not yet, although they'd have a
good platform.  There'd be a lot of quid pro quos, though --- no
similar passwords, no rhosts, etc., etc., etc.

I think your setup sounds OK.  An added advantage might be this:
pass all port 80 traffic to the webserver, but keep apache (or
whatever)
available on the gateway...then, if you need to go down (say, during
installworld in single-user) or when you're installing the latest and
most secure webserver on the www box, you could just have a basic
page on the gw that says "we'll be back in a few..."  and tell natd
keep the #80 packets right there for the time being.  I might save up
some pennies (heh!) for another RAM chip or two, though, if you
figure to get lots of traffic (probably you don't, on DSL, but who
knowz?)

Cheers,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.