Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 02:39:31 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Justin Heath <jheath@theplanet.com>
Cc:        jsa@pen.homeip.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail question

* Justin Heath (jheath@theplanet.com) [020427 02:15]:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry I was unclear. I should have included the return error I receive.
>
> reason: 501 <root@minion.dfx.tx.bbnow.net>... Sender domain must exist
>
> And as far as a reverse lookup I do get an answer (however a generic
> one).
>
> 00.000.00.in-addr.arpa. (I replaced the IP with zero's)
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Justin
>
> On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 23:34, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 26 April 2002 05:49 am, Justin Heath wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am wanting to setup Sendmail for outgoing messages only. However my
> > > ISP only provides DHCP. Currently I am unable to send outgoing messages
> > > due to failure of reverse IP lookups. Anyone know of a way around this?
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean "failure of reverse IP Lookup?"
> > Your isp OWEs you a resolvable reverse.
> > Does dig -x your.ip.here NOT return an answer section?

The problem is exactly what sendmail says it is. The sender domain must exist,
and it does not. If this is an internal only domain for your network, can
sendmail resolve it?

I notice you have no records for any bbnow.net domains except for MX records.
Your mail server may be able to recieve emails this way, but it can't send
them until your domain resolves.

roo@drizzle:~> host minion.dfx.tx.bbnow.net ns2.I3S.net
Using domain server:
Name: ns2.I3S.net
Address: 24.219.4.216
Aliases:

Host not found.
roo@drizzle:~> host minion.dfx.tx.bbnow.net 411.I3S.net
Using domain server:
Name: 411.I3S.net
Address: 24.219.4.11
Aliases:

roo@drizzle:~>

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)