Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2013 22:16:39 +0200
From:      Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 30

Am 02.04.2013 um 23:07 schrieb John Baldwin:
> On Monday, March 25, 2013 7:52:04 am Kai Gallasch wrote:
>> Hi.
>>=20
>> On one of my fresh installed servers I am seeing the following output =
during=20
> boot:
>>=20
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 30
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 30
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>> gptzfsboot: error 4 lba 31
>=20
> Humm, do you have disks that the BIOS sees that are small?  An error =
code of 4
> means 'sector not found' or 'read error'.  It would be interesting to =
see the
> output of 'lsdev -v' from the loader prompt.

Since upgrading the server to 9-STABLE (2013-03-30) the gptzfsboot error =
message miraculously disappeared.

Because I upgraded the zpools on this particular server to a new version =
("feature flags") I cannot boot back to 9.1-REL to find out if the =
upgrade was the cause of this - or not.

When I bootup the server from a 9.1-REL USB stick, I also cannot =
reproduce the error.

What did I change since seeing the error message the first time?

- I put GPT partitions on da2-da7 and used them for zpools
- Upgrading 9.1 REL to 9.1-2013-03-30
- refreshed the zfs bootcode on da0/da1 aferwards

If the error shows up again on a similar server soon to be upgraded, =
I'll give feedback.

Kai.=