Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:50:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

> Not quite fair--to conclude there's no interest--because the contest
> was suspended at least 10 days before the deadline, so people who
> might have participated didn't.
>
> 	Annelise

	Close, except we suspended the contest the first time the day
after the deadline.  At this point we recieved three entries, one of which
was invalid.  It was decided to restart the contest along with the release
of 3.0-RELEASE.  This would serve as a special kick-off party for it if
you say... the day of the release, it was cancelled.

	It could be said we should of let it last longer, to see if we
got a final product that was worthy.  I admit that.

	In the ashes of the contest, we still need a better default
configuration for X.  We are still limited with twm.  I propose we start
a ``BSD X Development Enviornment'' which will include cheezy frontends to
your favorite networking tools, etc.  The suggestion you told me of using
TK may actually be one of our biggest choices, but I feel obligated to
keep it away from that because of the many differences between versions.
This could break anything we create after a newer version is released.

	Would any of you be interested in starting something like this?
We would need a couple of developers with some experience in programming
for X11.  I would like to keep it C, but TK will probally be fine..

--
Phillip Salzman
"Some die old, others never grow up..."