Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 04:02:11 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server recommendation for co-location.

Hi Edwin.

On the basis of your specs, I infer that you have unlimited cash.  :)

I have three things to add to your equation.  Since this box will be
mostly inaccessible, you should probably allocate at least two drives
as spares in your RAID.  Having one spare is obvious, but you really
don't want to have to do repairs to this unit even *after* a failure
if you can help it, and one more drive is (relatively) cheap.

Which brings us to the second point.  I've just been probing the list
regarding a problem I'm having with a Dell PowerEdge that has a
MegaRAID controller in it.  I can't find any way to have the RAID
controller tell FreeBSD that there's a problem, without doing hardware
mods that void the warranty on the unit.  (I'm still looking.)  If you
plan to buy a brand-name box (Dell, IBM, whatever), MAKE SURE that the
configuration you're using includes the ability to report drive (and
fan and heat) problems to the operating system.  The man page for
ports/sysutils/healthd lists a number of monitoring chipsets for the
basic stuff, but I don't know where you'd look for the RAID, unless
you don't mind the performance hit and are comfortable running vinum.

The third point ... is that you want remote access to this box at all
times.  The Dell PowerEdge server I installed yesterday has a BIOS
setting that apparently lets the unit spew its CMOS config interface
through the serial port.  For a less vendor-specific solution, check
out http://www.realweasel.com/.  It's an awesome product.

When you complete your research, please let the list know.  I'm sure
lots of us will be interested in your findings.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 07:16:23PM -0700, Edwin Culp wrote:

> I need to co-locate a server in Singapore so reliability is
> important:-).  I am thinking of something with a ServerWorks
> LE-based board, multiprocessor, but with one P-III Xeon to
> start, running at from 700 Mhz to 1,000 Mhz, 2Gb initial ram,
> an extremely well ventilated box with multiple, hot swap,
> power supplies 500-750 watts, each.  I would like to have a
> Raid 10 array with from .5 TB to 1 TB initially.
> I find the 3ware escalade 64 bit, switched, 7000 series to be a a
> very compelling solution but I remember seeing a thread not long
> ago about it having pretty serious problems in one installation,
> but I've also heard some very good things about it.  Does anyone
> know of a solid raid 10 SCSI solution for FreeBSD?
>
> All suggestions appreciated especially about 3ware, motherboard,
> drives, etc.  If I remember the drives that were having problems
> in the 3ware thread were IBM, so they are out.  I was thinking
> about maxtor, I've used several (7500 rpm) for a couple
> of years with no problems.
>
> Now for the hard part, our finance guy wants to lease the equipment
> and would prefer to buy from a supplier rather than build it in house.:-(
> He obviously suggested, IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. etc. all of which
> have more trade-offs than I would like to make.  Does anyone know of a real
> company that [could|would|does] build[s] something similar?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ed
>
> ---

  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000
  IT Canada                                            http://www.it.ca/