Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:50:54 -1000 (HST)
From:      FreeBSD MAIL <freebsdq@mauibuilt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clean Flag

I was wondering if there is an ez way to check to see if the "clean flag" has
been set on a volume before you mount it.

I have a server that cant afford much down time in the way of reboots.
The os is on a very small partition that fsck can run through quickly should
the machine reboot for some reason. However there is a 80 gig ftp volume on the
system that takes forever to check.

I want to mount the ftp volume and start the ftp server after the system comes
up and starts other critical serives.

Rather than trying to mount the partition and checking to see if the mount
fails because of the clean flag not being set I figured fsck seems to know
if the "clean flag" is set there might be a passive way to check that flag
before running fsck.

Thanks in advance

Richard Puga.