Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 01:07:45 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Wrong.  Generally, businesses seldom make decisions on what is the "better
idea".  Generally, businesses make decisions based on that is the "cheaper
idea"  There's a big difference.

There are certainly more times that it's cheaper for a business to buy a
hardware router than using a PC with 2 NICS.  But this is because businesses
have to make tradeoffs all the time, and a very common tradeoff is giving
up functionality for a cheaper cost.  If the functionality that is given up
is not essential to the operation of the business then most businesses have
a fudiciary duty to their stockholders to go with the cheaper solution that
has
less features.

However, this kind of short term thinking sometimes will turn around and
bite the business on the butt and cost it more in the long run, because they
have to scrap the solution they bought 6 months ago and replace it with a
more expensive solution that has the features that they suddenly found out
they needed to have.  Thus, even to make the statement that "generally it's
cheaper to buy a hardware router" is fraught with peril because businesses
cannot make good decisions on generalities, they must examine their own
infrastructure and make decisions accordingly.

The PROPER statement here is this:

"In general, more businesses that have examined their networking
infrastructure
have concluded that it is cheaper FOR THEM to buy a hardware router, but as
each business is different, this statement is only of value to people
interested
in selling routing products, you must examine your own networking
infrastructure to
determine if a hardware router is cheaper for your business"

Of course, such a statement requires the network admin to use their brains and
do some work thinking.  As most people these days seem too lazy to want to do
that, they are not going to like my statement, but instead they will prefer
yours
because they want to believe that the world's problems can all be solved in
60-second sound bites.

>I transfer text files to my Windows machine and edit them with Notepad.  It's
>faster and easier than vi.  vi is just too much of a blast to the past (circa
>1970) to be more than a curiosity, in my view.

You need to explore other editors under FreeBSD, most of them are much easier
to use than vi.

>It's hard to find any source that recommends a UNIX system as a
>gateway/router
>over a dedicated hardware solution, from a security standpoint.
>There are just
>too many potential holes.

Wrong again.  The reason the security people are concerned about using UNIX,
or Windows, or any general purpose computer operating system as a router is
not because of potential holes.  It's because IF the router is compromised,
you can do a lot more damage to the rest of the network from it than from a
dumb hardware router.