Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:19:21 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing xfree86 under 4.6.2

On 30 Aug 2002, at 23:04, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 paleph@pacbell.net wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a 4.5 system that I've been trying to upgrade to 4.6.2. Everything
> > goes well upto the point that I try to install xfree86. Using either
> > sysinstall or the command line install program, I get the following
> > error:
> >
> > XFree86 configuraiton process seems to have filed. Do you want to try again.`
>
> If I had to guess, you were probably running XFree86 3.3.6 before, and
> as part of the upgrade to 4.6.2, XFree86 4.2 got installed. In that
> case, I think your /etc/XF86Config file would be preserved, although it
> may now contain some incompatible syntax with XFree86 4.2.

If you're trying to install XFree86 4.x or above, another thing to
check is that /etc/make.conf has:

XFREE86_VERSION= 4

in it. According to the new make.conf in 4.6.2-RELEASE, FreeBSD
defaults to version 4 now, but I think in the old make.conf, it
defaulted to 3.

Something else to check, anyway.

Regards,

Corey