Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:36:38 -0400
From:      "I'Khala" <ikhala@phoenix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>
Cc:        tMind@bigfoot.com, jbutt@mwci.net, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8->3.2 woes

Quoting Mr. K. (bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com):
> is there any safe way to do this over a network connection?  it keeps
> saying drop into single user mode, but I am not going to have the console
> (unless I pay the place I'm colocated at way too much money).  Also, I'm
> running 2.2.5-RELEASE, but I'm guessing the only difference is I'll go
> 2.2.5-release -> 2.2.8-stable and 2.2.8-stable -> 3.2-stable.  I probably
> should make this upgrade soon, even if I have to wind up paying the money,
> since the newest ports are starting to break (I'm guessing this is because
> my OS is too old).  tia.
Hmmm ..., I just ran into the same problem recently.  I had forgotten that I
needed to drop into single user mode.  What I did was to shut down all services
except my ssh connection in order to simulate single user mode.  I was (am)
upgrading an 2.2.6-release box to 2.2.8-stable.  Unfortunately I was not thorough
in updating files in /etc and the system did not reboot.  Fortunately the box is
at someones home and I'll finish up tonite when i can have the user tell me the
diagnostics over the phone.  This method is not for the weak at heart.  You must
be exact in what you do.  I would not recommend it, but it can be done.

Now <jbutt@mwci.net> suggestion about using a serial console is good.  The setup
in 2.2.x is different than 3.x. If your box connected to some kind of terminal
server it would be your best bet.  You world want to read up on tip and or kermit
Also the suggestion of installing on a disk locally and then taking it to the remote
site to install is also an good idea.  Wouldn't the cost be less if you good during
regular business hours?

hth ...

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, I'Khala wrote:
>
> > Quoting Tenacious (tMind@bigfoot.com):
> > > I have a 2.2.7-release now and I want to upgrade to 3.2-stable.  Anywhere I
> > > can find step by step documentation?  Or if you can show me the way.
> > I'd suggest the following steps:
> > 1. install mergemaster from ports (/usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster)
> > 2. Read through the mergemaster man page.
> > 3. print out the following "excellent" documents from the web:
> > 	A. http://www.ucb.crimea.ua/~ru/FreeBSD/30upgrade.html
> > 	   (Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.0-STABLE by Ruslan Ermilov)
> > 	B. http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
> >        ("Making the world" your own by Nik Clayton)
> > 4. Get comfortable and read through the above documents
> > 5. Read through /usr/src/Makefile
> > 6. Relax and "get your mind right son" #:^) because
> >    you're about to perform the following upgrade:
> > 		2.2.7-release -> 2.2.8-stable
> > 		2.2.8-stable  -> 3.2-stable
> >
> > When you're finished bask in the glow of a job well done ...
> > >
> > > Thanks

#:^)
--
I'Khala                               ikhala@msu.edu