Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:23:21 +1000
From:      "Chris" <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-net" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel upgrade causes truncated IPSEC packets

On Friday, 3 August 2001 Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com> wrote:
> A 0-length mbuf in the chain is at best useless and perhaps fairly
> unexpected (thus the bug in if_tun.c lasting for 6.5 years before
> being found).

Indeed. And I have to wonder how many other interfaces will have the same
problem. IMO getting IPSEC to work well is hard enough as it is (if the
feedback I get from from other folks is correct; I was fortunate that I
had experience doing Cisco VPN's before I tackled the KAME ones) without
having other problems like this in the way.

Most folk would just give up if they faced a problem like this the first
time they tried to use IPSEC. Goodness knows, -I- almost gave up, and I
had the advantage of knowing that there was nothing wrong with my
configuration ...

I spent many, many hours chasing the problem to the point where I discovered
it was in the PPP code. I know that in retrospect that sounds stupid (I
should have dumped the PPP async stuff earlier), but since I could actually
*see* the packets leaving the machine (blinkenlights on modem) and tcpdump
also showed good packets, I simply refused to believe that the problem was
inside the  machine ...

-- Chris