Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:04:09 -0500
From:      "Sagara Wijetunga" <sagara@tomahawk.com.sg>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD child process die for root

Hi=20

I'm Sagara Wijetunga from Tomahawk Computers from Singapore, makers of th=
e=20
Tomahawk Desktop, a FreeBSD based desktop operating system=20
(http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/) which is free for personal use.=20

Ever since we upgraded our Tomahawk Core OS to the FreeBSD 7.2 sources, w=
e=20
experienced a strange issue as follows:=20

   1. The root cannot login from the console, child process forked die wi=
th=20
=E2=80=9Cuid 0: exited on signal 11=E2=80=9D.
   2. Normal users can log in, no issue.
   3. Normal users can type =E2=80=9Csu=E2=80=9D and become root, but =E2=
=80=9Csu -l=E2=80=9D=20
results child process forked die with =E2=80=9Cuid 0: exited on signal 11=
=E2=80=9D.
   4. The /var/log/messages shows =E2=80=9C(cron), uid 0: exited on signa=
l 11=20
(core dumped)=E2=80=9D=20

We use a different build method to create Tomahawk Core OS, therefore, we=20
earlier decided not to complain about this issue till we release the beta=20
version as we were thinking without having access to our OS it may be=20
difficult to diagnose this issue.=20

Then we saw =E2=80=9CDeadlock in a multi-threaded program during fork(2)=E2=
=80=9D on=20
FreeBSD website and upgraded our sources to the latest and rebuilt the=20
Tomahawk Core OS but the problem we face did not go away.=20

Appreciate if the FreeBSD community could give us a helping hand to ident=
ify=20
the cause of the issue we are facing.=20

Kind regards
Sagara Wijetunga