Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:21:59 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Release schedule for 2.2.7

> be installed anyway if any other packages depend on it.  The visual
> indicator (currently space or `X') needs to be able to show `needed by
> another package' distinctly from `selected by user', but probably

I will look into what libdialog offers as it is used for the UI there.
I am not sure that his is possible w/o modifications to the library
functions.  If it doesn't work with the libraries current state I
think I will leave it out and open a window with a statement telling
that it is needed by somebody else and that it can't be removed now.
Not nice but better than nothing.

> if the user wants it.  (It might be useful to allow the user to see
> what packages depend on or require this package).

I thought of opening a window for showing this information on request.
The "who needs this" will be of higher priority as that is the more
useful information when deciding what to install.

> As I see it, the INDEX file needs to have a new field containing the
> installed size of the package itself (ignoring dependencies) When a

Good idea.  I will revise my modifications to the make files to take
/usr/ports/INDEX and merge it with size information.  The resulting
new INDEX file should then go on CD.

Of course I have to try this type of new INDEX with old versions of
sysinstall first.  I'll use the unmodified 2.2-stable one for that.
It would be of help if someone can confirm that even the oldest
sysinstall is able to accept and ignore additional fields there.

My own test will be with the ones from 2.1.7 and 2.2-stable.  I can't
get further back easily (do I have to anyway?) and if both accept it I
will assume nothing changed meanwhile.

> (deleted) to the list of packages to install.  The total space needed
> required field is just a matter of adding the sizes of all the
> packages to install.

And it will have to get updated every time someone does a selection if
something else depends on the newly selected that packages requirement
will go down.  That will be the hardest part with libdialog I think.

> Question: How do you tell the user that he needs X11 for a package, but
> hasn't installed X yet?

I didn't think about this, yet.  How would I notice such a package?  A
quick lock at INDEX told me the only clue is the place it gets
installed in.  Not a good basis.

> (*) You need to distinguish which packages depend on this one so that the
>     dependencies are correctly retained when packages are deselected.  A
>     reference counter might do.

I'll try that.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.