Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:32:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   /usr/src/UPDATING & fixit.flp & females

[1] "20001009: The ports tree's new layout is in place.  Be sure to update your entire ports tree, or you will have problems."
How do I update my entire ports tree in one shot?  (Or must I ftp everything individually?)  I tried running "portupgrade" but I don't seem to have that!

[2] Something totally mung (SNAFU) has happened to my /kernel file (I think
I must have spent too long in my /boot/loader.conf file!) so now I must
interrupt the boot process and at the "ok" prompt type "unload" then "load
kernel.prev" then "boot."

Well, I successfully booted up to FreeBSD 4.5 kern.flp then mfsroot.flp
floppies -- which defaultedly shoved me up inside the sysinstall app --
then I switched to VTY4 using the Fixit menu option and "Floppy" and no
problems there.

Here's the major woe!  *HOW* in the world do you use commands such as "ls"
and "mount" and "cat" and "ee" when for practically everything except "echo
$PATH" and "pwd" and a couple "cd" commands the user is told "not found?!"

HUGE thank yous guys -- and ladies (some say they exist on this list),

P.S. OOF! What does it mean when you type "dmesg -a" and get this (only)?
dmesg: sysctl kern.msgbuf: No such file or directory

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder