Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:42:41 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   UHCI/USB related panic while

I just upgraded a machine to this morning's version of the RELENG_4
branch of FreeBSD.  I had problems booting it, where it would hang for
a bit, and then panic while probing for USB peripherals.

There was a USB hub plugged into the UHCI 2-port built-in "hub", and a USB
mouse plugged into the external hub.  Attempting to boot with just the
external hub or just the external USB mouse seemed to break the same
way.  As this machine has a somewhat critical role, I couldn't spend
a lot of time experimenting.  I did jot down some of the information,
and it seems like uhci_idone() is invoked with a null pointer; the
fault virtual address is 0x4, which happens to be the offset of
ii->xfer in the structure..

What's interesting is that after the system is booted, I can plug
in the USB mouse, and things work just fine.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

(kgdb) x/i 0xc02afecc
0xc02afecc <uhci_idone+12>:     mov    0x4(%eax),%ebx
(kgdb) list *0xc02afecc
0xc02afecc is in uhci_idone (/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uhci.c:1065).
1060
1061    /* Called at splusb() */
1062    void
1063    uhci_idone(uhci_intr_info_t *ii)
1064    {
1065            usbd_xfer_handle xfer = ii->xfer;
1066            struct uhci_pipe *upipe = (struct uhci_pipe *)xfer->pipe;
1067            uhci_soft_td_t *std;
1068            u_int32_t status = 0, nstatus;
1069            int actlen;
(kgdb)

When the system boots, I see this much on the console:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xdce0-0xdcff irq 2 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

and then there's this ominious hang followed by the panic.

louie