Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:12:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "W. Reilly Cooley" <wcooley@nakedape.navi.net>
To:        Anthony Capone <capone@cap1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Based Script

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Anthony Capone wrote:

> Me Too...

What is this, AOL?

> >> Does anyone out there have a web based (cgi) script for a customer
> to check the time usage for their account.  We use radius
> authentication/accounting.

I've considered a web-based interface for users to modify their
configurations (mail forwarding, etc), but giving users access using their
UNIX passwords through a web interface is a /big/ security hole.  See
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#passwdauth for an explanation.
This might be reasonable, if, for example, you only permit access from
within your net block.  But even then it's sketchy...

'radiusContext' will generate web pages summarizing usage; but you
probably don't want to give everyone access to everyone else's usage
reports.

You can pretty easily set up scripts to periodically mail text summaries
to each person; this seems like a more reasonable approach.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                          wcooley@nakedape.navi.net
Naked Ape Consulting                        http://nakedape.navi.net