Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:01:42 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-admin@blender.nl
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mesa and Blender

Went through some interesting fun getting Blender to work over here.  Had a
fella who had some experience with it get me through the rough parts over the
weekend on the #KDE channel.  It looks to be either a problem with the way
Blender gets installed, or Mesa.  I'll let the more knowledgeable folks
decide :)

Blender compiled without a glitch, but when I tried running it I got an error
telling me that it couldn't find "libMesaGL.so.14".  I noticed that I was
running a slightly older version of Mesa, so I did a package_delete and
installed the new one.  Still the same problem.

What I finally did was create a link in /usr/lib/ called libMesaGL.so.14 and
pointed it towards "/usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.so".  I also created a link
called libMesaGLU.so.14 to it's equivalent in the X11R6 lib as well.  With
those links in place, Blender started up just fine.

I'm figuring that either Blender needs to be looking for the correct lib, or
Mesa needs to create a symlink under /usr/lib/ during it's install.  At this
point, Blender does not run at all as installed from the port.

Nevermind the fact I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my 3dfx
Voodoo3 3000's Glide support to work properly under FreeBSD.  Another topic
for a different bug report.

Later on,
--
Maintain thine air speed, lest the ground come up and smite thee.