Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 00:48:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "j mckitrick" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Seriously, this question needs to come up every once in a while, there's
plenty
of newbies besides yourself that have subscribed to -questions _after_ all
of
these debates were posted.

The one thing in that letter that I thought was interesting is the reference
_stealing_ BASIC, I haven't seen that one before.  That should have got your
warning flag set because when Microsoft was releasing BASIC for the PC, (and
S-100
CP/M I believe) the code for that was all handwritten assembly language.  If
he had developers that did get a public domain assembly language version of
BASIC
they would have had to extensively modify it for whatever computer they
wanted
to run it on, and in the S-100 days there wasn't a "standard" for a computer
like we understand the PC Standard of today, so this claim of stealing BASIC
is pretty much bogus.  (IBM as many other computer manufacturers, like
Commodore, also released BASIC rom code and there wasn't any attribution to
Microsoft in it)