Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 00:34:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mentioning RFC numbers in /etc/services

In message <199908030624.HAA00958@keep.lan.Awfulhak.org> Brian Somers writes:
: Exactly - ditto for gethostbyname().  In the case of gethostbyname(),
: I believe that domain names can't have a number as the first
: character - I would have thought this idea should follow through with
: services.

No.  That is in error.  3com.com or 2112.com.  See RFC 1123 for the
loosening of the restriction.  You have to parse the whole string to
know if it is a valid IP address or not anyway.

: I know I'd be pretty annoyed if I tried to do something like ``ssh -p
: 1234 somewhere'' after configuring my interface in single-user modem
: with nis in /etc/host.conf and found that ssh was looking up 1234 in
: /etc/services.  Even if this is right, it's not intuitive.

But inetd isn't involved here at all.  You do bring up a good point
here in argument by analogy.

However your rule for isdigit(arg[0]) breaks the following services:

3com-tsmux      106/tcp
3com-tsmux      106/udp
914c/g          211/tcp    #Texas Instruments 914C/G Terminal
914c/g          211/udp    #Texas Instruments 914C/G Terminal
9pfs            564/tcp    #plan 9 file service
9pfs            564/udp    #plan 9 file service
3l-l1           1511/tcp
3l-l1           1511/udp
3ds-lm          1538/tcp
3ds-lm          1538/udp
3m-image-lm     1550/tcp    #Image Storage license manager 3M Company
3m-image-lm     1550/udp    #Image Storage license manager 3M Company

at least we know there are no all numeric service names in the
standard /etc/services file.

Warner