Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 01:00:56 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Matt Ronge" <list@monkeybreadsoftware.com>, "FreeBSD Questions LIST" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: No Root Password?

Matt Ronge said:

> I was playing around with sshd and all of a sudden my machine doesn't
> require a password for root.
>
> When I login locally doesn't ask for one, when I login over ssh it accepts
> anything. Also the other user accounts require passwords.
>
> What did I do?

Not sure, but likely it would be wise to remove
*any* possibility of a root login via SSH.  Add
'PermitRootLogin no' to /etc/sshd_config and add
a personal account to wheel group, then use 'su'
to gain privileges when needed.  Here are some
other random thoughts...

Check for    'PermitEmptyPasswords yes'
     in /etc/ssh/sshd_config... make it 'no'

Check that you are not using key-based
    auth --- perhaps the client box has the key?

Best yet, read up on key-based auth and learn
to use it instead of passwords....

My 2 cents, Kevin Kinsey