Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 14:28:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server Almost Crashed!!! Please Help!!!

In article <02be01bee80c$74ed1a60$fca3f9cf@megared.net.mx>,
Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx> wrote:
:     I have detected a problem in my system, I have FreeBSD 3.2 with sendmail
: 8.9.3, Procmail-3.13.1, and disk Quotas; I have searched the sendmail site
: and I didnt find anything usefull to solve my problem: all my users have 5MB
: of disk Quotas, the problem happened when 1 of my users that have his quota
: filled, send a mail to another user who has his quota filed too, the message
: wasnt to big, 250KB, but when procmail sended a message to sendmail that the
: quota was exceded, sendmail send a message to root, and tried to return the
: mail to the original sender, but this user also has his quota exceded, so

According to the RFC, the process for delivering messages is
something like:

      o Attempt to deliver the message.
      o If the delivery succeeds, quit.
      o The delivery failed, check the sender of the message.
      o If the sender of the message is null, quit.
      o Create an error message and deliver it to the sender
	*with the sender set to null* and quit.

The purpose of this is to prevent just the sort of loop you have
discovered. In order to break the loop you will need to discover
which of the above steps your system is doing incorrectly.