Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:03:08 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT without a firewall.

>Can i run natd without  firewall ?  I see all these instructions for
>running a firewall and natd together.  What options do i need in the
>kernel and rc.conf just to run natd?
>
>regards,
>

>G. Jason Middleton

It is generally a good idea to run a firewall, but if you are certain that
you do not want one, you can just run an "open" firewall and divert
everything through NATD.
Follow the aforementioned instructions for adding firewall and IPDIVERT
support into your kernel, then:

~Create a file somewhere in /etc and name it whatever you want. I'll use
"rc.divert" for this example.
~Put the following 3 lines in it:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/ipfw add 1 divert natd all from any to any
/sbin/ipfw add 2 pass all from any to any

~Change the line "firewall_script=" in /etc/rc.conf (or add it if it doesn't
exist)
Make it read:

firewall_script="/etc/rc.divert"

(or use whatever filename you chose)

Also make sure that the line "gateway_enable="YES" appears in /etc/rc.conf

Charles Burns