Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2013 11:29:48 -0800
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Guest network on corporate LAN - options for security

All,

If this isn't the right list for this, please let me know.

Quite some time ago, I set up an unsecured guest VLAN in our network,
providing wireless access to all of the sundry devices that staff and
visitors carry. I set up a small FreeBSD machine to serve IP addresses
via DHCP, and that was dead simple.

However, there are now other tenants in our building, and the subnet
is getting too much bandwidth and address consumption - the range I
set up is completely filled, and the VLAN is consuming about half of
our Internet pipe, which is far too much for my comfort.

I suspect the other tenants are leeching.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can leverage that FreeBSD box to control this?

It's not the firewall for the VLAN - it's simple a machine sitting on
the subnet.

What I've read of captive portals seems to indicate that the portal is
part of the firewall, which will not be the case here, as the
corporate firewall will not be allowed to be part of this solution.

The only other alternative I see right now is to set up a password on
the SSID, and have the front desk hand it out to guests, after mailing
it to staff, and I'm getting pushback on that from my manager.

Thanks,

Kurt